Church Social Action Network
Church Social Action Network, which arises from the former BSR after it was reviewed (see below), has several purposes:
- to support those in the Diocese already engaged in social responsibility, to share insight and experience, etc
- to encourage social responsibility activity in the parishes, in line with the emerging Diocesan vision
At its first meeting, CSAN set itself three priorities for action:
- promoting understanding in the parishes of what social responsibility is
- including responding to requests from parishes for help to engage with issues locally - there are three areas currently - migrant workers in tourism and agriculture; domestic violence; credit unions
- co-operating with SRF on promoting Credit Unions
- Conversations across Cumbria (a project to build links and understanding between the different communities in Cumbria)
The 'bones' of the network are the Officers: the Urban Chaplains, the City Centre Chaplain(s), the Industrial Chaplains, the World Development Officer.
Chair the Ven Richard Pratt
50, Stainburn Rd, Workington, CA14 1SN
Tel: 01900 66190
CSAN works ecumenically - with local Churches Togethers, with partner churches, and with the Social Responsibility Forum of Churches Together in Cumbria (SRF) - and also with a wide range of secular bodies.
More information about the Social Responsibility Forum is available here:
The Diocesan Board for Social Responsibility published a couple of booklets giving helpful advice in a nutshell. These are included below; yuou can also download the Review and a shorter Summary; part of the review was a survey sent to parishes: you can also download the results of the survey separately.
398kb 25 Aug 2014
207kb 25 Aug 2014
29kb 25 Aug 2014
57kb 25 Aug 2014
108kb 25 Aug 2014
232kb 25 Aug 2014
83kb 25 Aug 2014
137kb 25 Aug 2014