Benefices within Appleby Deanery
- Bolton (Leith Lyvennet Group)
- Brough with Stainmore Musgrave and Warcop
- Crosby Ravensworth (Leith Lyvennet Group)
- Kirkby Stephen with Mallerstang, Crosby Garrett and Soulby
- Kirkby Thore with Temple Sowerby and with Newbiggin
- Lowther and Askham and Clifton & Brougham
- Morland, Thrimby, Great Strickland, and Cliburn (Leith Lyvennet Group)
- Orton and Tebay with Ravenstonedale and Newbiggin
- Shap with Swindale and Bampton with Mardale
- The Heart of Eden
Map only showing 7 out of 36 churches within Appleby Deanery due to missing church location data
Appleby Deanery Profile
The Deanery is bounded by 3 main roads running close to the Pennines, Shap Fells and Howgills. Between these nestle some 100 - small towns, villages and hamlets. Agriculture is in a post settlements recovery period after the devastating foot and mouth outbreak with signs of healthy diversification.
Tourism brings in many people with its opportunities to raise our Christian heritage. There is little heavy industry above ground but British Gypsum is busy underneath. The Army at Warcop has one of its principal training areas. We wait with anticipation IT developments with the expansion of broad-band communication.
Against this background the Deanery is large in area, small in population (with some 13000 people), many Churches to maintain and services to conduct. The Deanery is exercised on planning for the future and there is much work to do. We pray that we are all up to the tasks ahead and can keep a smile for our visitors and ourselves.
Appleby Deanery Contacts
The Vicarage, Morland, Penrith, CA10 3AX
01931 714620 email@example.com
The Old Rectory, Ormside, Appleby in Westmorland, CA16 6EJ